Monday, May 15, 2006

indignance

I don’t feel this indignant easily and often. But this is really getting on my nerves. The more I look at how my tutor marks my assignments, the more I note her mistakes as glaringly as she notes mine. First, she spells ‘attendance’ as ‘attendence’. Then, she corrects this sentence of mine

Parents benefited by being able to envision futures for their children, while others, like schoolmates, were better equipped to cope effectively with childhood cancer and accept affected individuals.

to become

Parents benefited by being able to envision futures for their children; while others, like schoolmates, were better equipped to cope effectively with childhood cancer and accept affected individuals.

Fine, put in the semi-colon if you want, but that means the ‘while’ has to be taken away. If not, it just becomes a weird, weird sentence.

This sentence of mine was also changed.

Support offered by the school was viewed positively by parents and in particular, support in terms of facilitation of a smooth reentry into returning to school was positively highlighted.

to

Support offered by the school was viewed positively by parents and in particular. Support in terms of facilitation of a smooth reentry to school was highlighted positively.

This is pretty bad man! I’ll give her the benefit of doubt and assume that it was a mistake on her part. But I must say that I was stunned when I read the corrections she wrote. What the…??!

You want to be so ngiao about APA referencing, then make sure you really mark according to the APA guidelines, right? Not anyhow hantam commas and periods and semi-colons here and there using your own standards as a guideline then say that it’s APA style.

You want to assume that your command of the English language is better than mine, then make sure your basic spelling is in order. As for syntax, sighhhh… I don’t even want to begin talking about that!

If this tutor has such dodgy spelling and referencing guidelines, it makes me start to doubt how credible she is when marking the content itself.

The reason why I've finally decided to look into seeking grievance is not just about the english. It's a range of issues which I think would be good to address and not just gripe about it with no end in sight.

I know that at the back of my mind too is the Holy Spirit telling me that in seeking fairness in such issues, I must remember to conduct myself in a manner that is above reproach as well. No, it is not easy. Esp not when you're this indignant. But I will endeavour to address this issue 1) w/o slamming her unfairly 2) stating nothing but the facts 3) with love.

I've done #1 many times I know. #2 is easy to fall into when I remember that exaggeration is also a form of twisting facts. And #3 is a major struggle.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand." Philippians 4:4-5

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home